Long ago there was a poor farmer called Fred. Fred and his wife, Doris lived 1 together in their small old house. One winter night, the Luck Fairy (仙女) visited them.
“Fred, you’re a 2 farmer. I’d like to give you a wish,” said the Luck Fairy.
“A wish?” Said Fred.
Fred and Doris smiled at each other. Then Fred said, “ Thank you , Luck Fairy. We’re very 3 and happy.”
“ 4 we’re old, we still work in the field every day,” said Doris.
“You wok very hard but you 5 very little money. Would you like some gold coins ” asked the Luck Fairy.
“Oh no , my dear Luck Fairy. We’re poor. But we have 6 food to eat.” Replied Fred.
“You can use the gold coin to buy some clothes. The winter here is very cold,” said Luck Fairy.
“Though we haven’t got 7 clothes, we’ve got enough,” said Doris.
“Well, what about a nice new house?” Asked Luck Fairy.
“Thank you, but I 8 my small old house very much. I’ve lived here since I was born. I don’t 9 a new house,” said Fred.
“You’re quite different from other people. I like you very much,” said the Luck Fairy. “I wish you happiness and Luck forever.” Then the Luck Fairy 10 and never came back.
1. A. sadly B. happily C. worried D. anxiously
2. A. bad B. lazy C. good D. unhelpful
3. A. healthy B. careful C. difficult D. important
4. A. If B. But C. Because D. Though
5. A. cost B. lose C. make D. borrow
6. A. no B. little C. enough D. expensive
7. A. old B. many C. bad D. clean
8. A. hate B. love C. need D. dislike
9. A. need B. see C. buy D. build
10. A. smiled B. nodded C. laughed D. disappeared
3. A。比较这四个词的意思不难发现与happy 并列的是healthy。
5. C。make money意思是“赚钱”。
10. D。根据never come back可知仙女消失了。